Education is not a passive experience. HF Shinn

Perspectives of Kevin C. Shinn EAST at Huntsville High School Problem-Based Learning Beware the Blog Perceptions on Volunteerism Huntsville Arkansas Rapid Response Team Project American Red Cross Rapid Response Team Camp Huntsville Fire Department Nostalgia Charles White and the Civil War Websites of Interest

Help Us Save Lives and Build Character.

In today's world, the children of our nation are constantly bombarded with negativity and given options of personal destruction in an overwhelming stream of despair and hopelessness. Research has proven time and again that children who are active in school and church activities are much less likely to fall victim to these paths of disaster than those who wander the streets and through life searching for happiness in material and chemical pursuits.

Organizations like the Huntsville Arkansas Rapid Response Team (HARRT) offer young people another path. HARRT's focus on medical training, emergency management, leadership and team-building allow students to develop in a positive manner and to learn the joy of leadership through service.

If you would like to contribute to this valiant effort, they would gladly accept your kind donations.

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names. John F. Kennedy

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

2008 Rapid Response Team Camp

Life is what we make it; not what we wish it to be.

Madison County Disaster Action Team

 

The mission of the Madison County Disaster Action Team is to train volunteers and to serve the citizens of Madison County during disasters and to represent the American Red Cross in the community.
 
American Red Cross Mission
The American Red Cross, a humanitarian organization led by volunteers and guided by its Congressional Charter and the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross Movement, will provide relief to victims of disaster and help people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies.

For more information about the American Red Cross http://www.redcross.org/
 
MCDAT Organization
Kevin Shinn -- Disaster Action Team Leader
Angie Shinn -- Disaster Action Team Coordinator
Nikki Tarvin -- Training Coordinator
Adam Wade -- Rapid Response Team Coordinator
Kristyn Shinn Clark -- Health Services Coordinator

The history of our race, and each individual's experience, are sown thick with evidence that a truth is not hard to kill and that a lie told well is immortal.
Mark Twain

KC Shinn

Create Your Badge

Crisis for Volunteer Fire Departments

It is becoming increasingly difficult for volunteer fire departments to recruit members and to retain the ones they do for long periods of a time.  In 1984, the National Fire Protection Association listed 897,750 volunteer firefighters in the United States which responded to a call volume of 11 million responses. But in 2007, that call volume has ballooned to 25 million while the number of firefighters had dropped to 825,450. (p. 48).   This is an alarming trend when one examines the demographics of the United States.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau the United States has an estimated population of 308,585,287 people in our nation (U.S. Census Bureau, 2010). In the National Fire Protection Association’s (NFPA) Fire Service Statistics report released in November 2008, the NFPA stated (Appendix A) that there were roughly 1,148,800 firefighters in the U.S. in 2007. Of that number, 825,450 (72%) were categorized as volunteer firefighters while the remaining 323,350 (28%) were listed as career firefighters (NFPA, 2008.) According to the United States Census Bureau’s Population Estimates Program’s July 1, 2007 statistics there were an estimated 308,585,287 people in the nation (US Census Bureau, 2010.) The U.S. Fire Administration Firefighter Fatalities in the United States in 2007 Report (Appendix B) was released in June 2008. The report shows that on duty firefighter deaths included 68 volunteer firefighters and 50 career firefighters.  Among the volunteer firefighter fatalities, 63 were from local or municipal volunteer fire departments, and 5 were part-time or full-time members of wildland fire agencies. Citing the NFPA’s statistics again, the majority of the career firefighters (74%) serve communities that protect 25,000 or more people; whereas, the majority of the volunteer firefighters (95%) protect communities of fewer than 25,000 people with more than half located in small, rural departments which protect fewer than 2,500 people. Finally, according to the US Census Bureau, 64% of our population lives outside of the nation’s urban centers. 

 People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of their character. Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)